My mom sent me a cute article relating to the kids book "Fancy Nancy," by Jane O'Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser. "Nancy thinks her family is not fancy enough, using boring words and everyday clothes, so she decides to "fancy" them up. In the book, the family goes along with the plan and hits a burger place each dressed to the nines.
My sweet daughter with the Cindy-Lou-Who big blue eyes and dappled freckles looked up at me and said, "Let's be Fancy Nancies!" It was decided we would go diva the next Saturday and go out for breakfast looking our finest.
That morning we pulled out our best, with my daughter supervising all clothing choices.
She settled on a beautiful Sunday dress, accompanied by black high-heeled boots and topped it off with pearls. I lent her my old faux leopard skin eyeglass case as a purse, and she announced she was positively "fancy."
She then outfitted me in my best shoes and fanciest outfit (appropriate for a cruise banquet, not for brekkie), ensuring my hair was just the right bouffant. In a moment of whimsy, I added a pink feather boa."
I am the first to admit that I get completelyembarrassed sticking out in a crowd.
Perhaps I should dress up in my sequined
cruise attire and take K, and her friend Bria,
out like this:

When I turned 6 my
mom took me out like this:
That was my day to be a fancy girl with fancy friends, on a carriage ride through City Creek Canyon and a tea party at the old Hotel Utah. And that was BEFORE the book came out- what an awesome mom!
This is something I definitely need to work on.
When was the last time you were Fancy Free??
When was the last time you were Fancy Free??
You are such a good mom! I would definitely be too embarrassed to dress up to go out to eat. I'm sure Katherine was on cloud nine. Seeing your ADORABLE little girls makes me excited to have my own!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you started a blog! Can we add your blog link to our blog?
So glad you started a blog!
ReplyDeleteI haven't gotten all dressed up and "fancy" for a very long time! Anything fancy runs the risk of getting boogers or a sticky handprint on it, now-a-days!
Wow... this really inspired me. I want to be Fancy Free, too! And I want to go to the UP and go hiking (that's upper peninsula- lol). :)
ReplyDelete