Sunday, February 20, 2011

Our First Sunday

I am quickly learning that it takes a long time to get places using public transportation - especially because we live in a very small town. Getting to church was no problem. Getting home was much more difficult. It took 30 minutes to get to church, and 1 1/2 hours to get home.
Mike pointed out that the building didn't say "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." Kind of odd. A kind woman translated Sacrament Meeting for us (that was the only meeting we attended). We have a dinner invitation in a couple of weeks. The sister missionaries gave us their phone number in case we need anything . . . if only we had a phone! It was a very rainy trip, but I guess I'm glad we went. I'm going to need any and all blessings that I can get this week!

The rest of the day was "take it easy" day. Mike made some yummy Gruyere mac 'n cheese, and we took naps. We aren't allowed to use the laundry room on Monday's, so I thought I would throw in a couple of loads. Well, I'm going to have to stay up late just to get the first load done!
Laundry is crazy. 130 minutes for one load?? I'm pretty sure I did the settings correctly, even though I couldn't find the words in my French or German dictionaries. I should have written down how to use the washer when our landlord showed me. It seemed so easy and logical at the time, but it definitely doesn't seem that way now.

Tomorrow Mike goes to work. Things will be interesting. I'm thinking one small outing will be a good start. I'm hoping to make it to Aldi tomorrow. I looked up their ad, and they are supposed to have hair straightening irons starting tomorrow. The one I brought won't work (even with the converter). I would feel a little more at home if I could at least do my hair the way I usually do.

Also, I'm having trouble thinking of things to prepare for meals. So far we have had spaghetti, frozen pizza and mac 'n cheese. NOT creative. I'm also not quite sure how to get groceries if I have the girls. Again, it will be interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Marianne- I am really loving reading all your blog posts about your adventure. It sounds so incredible and very challenging at the same time. I hope you will soon start to feel comfortable and a little more at home there. I will be thinking about you. I was just wondering- have you looked into any place you might be able to order some groceries online and maybe pay a small fee for delivery? We are looking into doing that when we travel out of the country in about a week from now. Anyways, thanks again for your posts, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sounds like you are having a wonderful adventure (not all adventures seem wonderful at the time, but more so in hindsight.) Keep posting with lots of details. We're enjoying being with you "virtually"!

    ReplyDelete