Sunday, February 27, 2011

Family Day in Geneva

Our lunch bench with Geneva in the background
(I'm not sure what K is doing with her cheeks)


Saturday's in Switzerland are wonderful, because we get to hang out with Mike! I feel guilty going on so many adventures without him, but he is working hard to finish up his dissertation so he can graduate and we can move on to our next adventure! All of us girls were tired from a long Friday trip, so we decided to stay closer to home and explore Geneva. Mike found a museum the girls would be interested in - the Museum of Natural History. The girls LOVED it! I think the best part was having space for Katherine and Ellie to run and run and run.


Katherine's favorite animal is the Polar Bear

We were all starving by the time we were done at the museum. We walked toward the Rhone river and found a little pizza place - 10 CHF per pizza, with a free carton of cold tea! I turned down the tea, but we loved the pizza. I am falling even more in love every day with thin crust Italian pizza. Mmmmm. We took our pizza's down to the river where we ate and watch the Jet d'Eau. That is one HUGE fountain!

Cloudy days don't bode well for good fountain pictures

Near us, there was a great tree for climbing. Katherine is not quite adventurous enough to climb up very far, but she did climb up a little bit.




We walked across the bridge then caught a bus to the United Nations. In the plaza across the street there is what we now call the "worlds largest broken chair." Really, I have to admit that I don't know what the chair represents. It had been a long day and I didn't bother to read about it. Someday I will look it up.


There is something about all the flags lined up in front of the U.N. that just gives me the chills.



We ended the day with a stroll through the botanical gardens. I can only imagine how beautiful it would be in the springtime, when all the flowers are starting to bloom. We went and looked through the greenhouses. It sure was nice to be in such warmth!


Mike smelling the flower - Katherine thought this would be a great picture!


Traveling with children is definitely different. Had it only been Mike and me, I'm sure we would have seen the famous Cathedral's and maybe another museum. It is fun though to find things that the little ones like to see. Each adventure is its own, and each adventure on any other given day, month or year would be completely different. I guess that is why we have to take what we are given and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment