Sunday afternoon was one of my favorite Switzerland experiences so far. I think it is because we got to do something that felt a little bit like home. I'm sad to say that I forgot to take pictures.
A couple from church, Fabio and Elodie, invited us to eat lunch with them on Sunday. They borrowed their parents car, complete with car seats, so they could drive us to their home. So kind! It was a beautiful sunny day, which was good because they didn't have a house key and we were locked out. We waited about 20 minutes for Fabio's parents to bring a key. They got out toys for the girls to play with while we waited for the food to cook. They don't have children yet, but they certainly have the equipment to entertain children at their home.
Fabio's parents are both from Italy, and Elodie told me they eat pasta at least 3 times a week. We ate pasta with a wonderful red sauce with green olives. After they cleared our pasta bowls, they brought out a yummy salad. I've never had pasta as a first course, then salad. I wouldn't have eaten so much pasta had I known there would be salad! For dessert we had Swiss ice cream with homemade chocolate sauce. They even had sprinkles for the girls :) I was a little sad we didn't have a Swiss "dish," but it was a very yummy meal, and I am so grateful they invited us over!
Katherine was dying to go for a walk (she had overheard Elodie talk about her traditional Sunday walk with Fabio). We set out for a long and beautiful walk. Fabio and Elodie live on a hillside above a river. We walked down to the river and wandered through the woods a bit before heading home. Katherine was a rock star walker - she made it nearly the entire way. Fabio showed us the "wild garlic" that was beginning to sprout up all over the floor of the woods. Elodie pointed out the cutest little white flowers that looked just like bells. We hadn't yet had the opportunity to get out and walk in the countryside, and I loved it. Being without a car, we spend our time where the trains and buses take us. I'm grateful to have seen, smelled, and experienced a little bit of the beautiful Swiss-French countryside.
It's getting to be spring here, and it feels good. The crocuses are blooming everywhere, and people are beginning to put their flower planters out with pansies. I hope that it's beginning to be spring in Madison, WI. I don't want to go back to dreary weather. I'm ready for some green grass/trees, warm, blue sky days!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a fun day! I'm sorry to tell you it is still wintry here! Although we are supposed to have a day this week in the 40s. Does that count? :)
ReplyDelete