On our last Tuesday I took the girls across Lac Leman (Lake Geneva) to Evian-les-Bains, France. I had planned on making several journeys across the lake to various towns, but the schedule was sparse. In the summer there are many boats that cross the lake, however there are limited times in cold weather. It only took about 45 minutes to cross.. I wanted to sit outside in the sun, but Katherine is not a fan of wind. Oh well.
This little town was wonderful. We walked up to the main little shopping street and wandered around. I found "my" store here, and bought some capris and a skirt. I could have bought nearly everything in there if money were no issue. I mentioned to the owner that I loved her store, and her reply was "Thank you. It is unique." I think it would fit in beautifully in Madison.
On the way back we got hot chocolate, muffins and chips. I remember getting a Snickers and hot chocolate (I burned my tongue drinking it) on the ferry to Alcatraz when I was little, so I thought this may be a fun memory. Mike said I probably only remember the hot chocolate because I burned my tongue. He is probably right. Also on the way back, a woman spoke to me in French for what seemed like an eternity. I had told her I only speak English, and very little French, but she carried on anyway. I was proud of myself for understanding a great deal of what she said. She told me it is good to live in different cultures while kids are young, because they can pick up the language so easily. Her Mom spoke 5 languages because of moving around when she was little. I explained to her that we were only visiting for a month, but that I agreed with what she was saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment